Asian Medical Students' Association (AMSA) Singapore is an independent organisation that represents medical students across Singapore, both locally and internationally. Our organisation strives to create meaningful and enriching opportunities for the medicals students. We hope to provide a holistic and global perspective of health-related issues, in doing so inspiring the next generation of young doctors to make a positive difference in our society.
- Participating in international conferences and exchange programmes
- Contributing to the research efforts of healthcare organisations all around the world
- Gaining exposure to global challenges and efforts in the global healthcare sector
- To promote meaningful discussion on global health issues
- Sharing of useful resources to inspire the generations of medical students
- Eventually evolving these ideas from our focused discussion into projects or initiatives with a positive impact on local and international population
Networking & Liaison
- To serve as a platform for local medical students to meet other medical students across the three medical schools in Singapore and all around the world, including but not limited to student leaders, project managers and global activists
- To facilitate meaningful partnerships between the medical student community and international organisations working in the areas of public health and medical education
AMSA Singapore was one of the early founding members in AMSA International’s history, with the hosting of the 5th AMSC by the NUS Medical Society in 1984. Although AMSA Singapore’s participation was lost along the way, Singapore successfully applied for observer status as a member country of AMSA International in August 2010 with resounding support from other chapters. Today, we are seeing a revival of Singapore’s participation in AMSA International, with the active participation of progressively larger delegations in conferences in recent years, and the hosting of exchange programs with other AMSA chapters.
In 2014, AMSA Singapore was conferred a full membership in AMSA International and won the Best New Chapter Award for its contributions to AMSA. We contributed further to AMSA by being a stellar host of the Asian Medical Students’ Conference (AMSC) 2015 that is cognisant of the latest important medical issues that affect the Asia-Pacific region. We aim to continue to spearhead innovative medical and health projects through collaboration with other member chapters, and create new international friendships through the expansion of our AMSEP program to involve more member chapters.
AMSA Singapore has emerged officially as an independent student organization registered under the Registry of Societies Singapore in November 2014. As the only key representative body of full-time medical students in Singapore and as the only student-led organisation that runs under international medical student bodies, we aim to train the young medical students of Singapore from across the schools to become better future leaders and pioneers of tomorrow by providing them a platform with a myriad of international opportunities.
To further enrich the experiences of medical students in Singapore, AMSA Singapore recently joined IFMSA as a full member in 2017 to expose the students to a wide range of events and activities that IFMSA provides. We have successfully sent a number of students to IFMSA’s recent international events and we are currently active in the Standing Committee on Public Health (SCOPH) with our new SG Marrow initiative. We hope to continue the great efforts to assimilate IFMSA into AMSA Singapore.
AMSA Singapore hopes to establish official partnerships with the three local medical schools in the near future, namely: National University of Singapore (NUS) Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School, and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine. In doing so, we aim to encourage a joint collaboration amongst these schools in the spirit of mutual support and cooperation, with the common goal of providing the best experience for medical students in Singapore.
Asian Medical Students’ Association (AMSA) Singapore
c/o The Dean’s Office, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine,
National University of Singapore
1E Kent Ridge Road, #11-00, NUHS Tower Block, Singapore 119228